Boilers & Heating

Boiler GrantsFree, and heavily subsidised replacement boilers are available via the Energy Company Obligation, a Government-backed Scheme which has been set up to help low-income households access home efficiency improvements to reduce the cost of heating their homes, and to reduce their carbon footprints. If you meet the benefits related criteria, and your current boiler is at least 5 years old (not condensing), you could qualify.

Boiler Grants are non-repayable, this means you do not have to pay any money back at any time. There are no complicated terms and conditions. If you qualify for a free boiler grant, you can have one installed along with new heating controls (where necessary). The amount of funding you get is determined by the efficiency of your home, so an energy assessment will be carried out. In some instances a small contribution towards the cost may be required.

You may get all or part of the cost of:

  • Insulation work, eg to your loft or cavity walls.
  • Replacing or repairing your boiler – or other upgrades to your heating


You must own your property or rent it privately and have the owner’s permission to do the work.

You must also receive one of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Working Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit (and you earned £1,250 or less after tax in any assessment period in the last 12 months)

Extra conditions

For certain benefits, one of the following must also apply:

  • you get Child Tax Credit and your child’s disabled
  • you get Disabled Child Premium
  • you get Disability Premium
  • you get Pensioner Premium
  • you receive a work-related activity or support component – if you’re claiming income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • you’re 60 or over – if you’re claiming Working Tax Credit
  • you get a limited capability for work or work-related activity element – if you’re claiming Universal Credit
  • you get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment – if you’re claiming Universal Credit

How can we help?

If you want to learn more about the ECO scheme and to see if you qualify, please contact us. Boilers are funded by the HHCRO part of the energy company obligation.

Under the Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO), energy companies provide insulation and heating improvements to qualifying low-income and vulnerable households in private rented or owner occupied properties (social housing tenants are not eligible for HHCRO).